Representing Australia, Southeast Asia, Pacific, China
Liz has well rounded expertise in all aspects of HR management, with specific expertise in higher education. Having occupied senior roles, Liz has a deep knowledge and understanding of all aspects of university administration.
Liz offers expertise in:
- Strategy formulation
- Planning and managing major organisational change, including staff reductions
- Policy development
- HR systems and processes
Liz Baré commenced her working life in charge of a small special library in a government agency, supervising two other staff. There she learnt valuable lessons in management, supervision and working in complex organizations. She moved through a series of technical and line management positions in that agency, and in 1983 was appointed to Head its 50 strong personnel branch. There she fell in love with human resources management and decided that this was her true vocation. Her next assignment was to create a HR function in one of the world’s largest volunteer organisations.
She has now headed the human resource function in three different organizations. Her longest appointment was as Vice-Principal (Human Resources) at the University of Melbourne. She and her colleagues developed the function at the University from a personnel function to a well regarded human resources division. In recent years, Liz has been Head of Administration at the University of Melbourne, where she was responsible for service delivery of IT, Finance, Research, Marketing, Property and Grounds as well as overseeing a major restructure of administrative service delivery.
- BA (Hons), University of Melbourne
- Diploma of Librarianship, University of New South Wales
- Graduate Diploma in Business Administration, (Swinburne University of Technology)
- Member Australian Human Resources Institute
Representing Australia, Southeast Asia, Pacific, China
Steve has had extensive experience in both the Higher Education and Government sector. Prior to resigning to establish his own consultancy company in 2006 he was the General Manager Human Resources at the University of Adelaide for eight years.
Steve is an Australian representative of the Steering Committee of the Association of Commonwealth Universities Human Resource network, an international group which facilitates closer collaboration between universities across the Commonwealth in finding innovative and practical solutions in the management of their human resources.
- Investigate and prepare reports in relation to a number of organisational change management initiatives across several universities
- The development, administration of an international industry wide client survey including comprehensive analysis of results
- Investigate and prepare recommendations in relation to the implementation of a revised performance management scheme
- Member of the Australian Human Resources Institute (AHRI)
- Member of the South Australian Branch of the Industrial Relations Society
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Association of Commonwealth Universities Human Resource Network
Representing United Kingdom and Europe, Middle East
Peter Deer is the principal of People Partner HR Consulting. The aim of People Partner is to improve the performance of people in organisations and thereby add value to the business. People Partner can call upon other highly experienced HR professionals to offer a service tailored to the particular needs of an organisation.
Particular areas of interest include:
- Executive/leadership coaching
- Review, development and implementation of HR strategy, including employee relations
- Organisational review and development, including self assessment methodologies, surveys and management of change
Peter Deer has extensive experience of managing HR in the higher education sector in the UK. For eight years he was the Director of Human Resources at the University of Cambridge and before that for ten years he was the Director of Personnel, University College London. Since he began consultancy work in 2008 he has undertaken assignments for the University of Oxford and for the University of Liverpool.
Peter has been a leading figure in the development of professionalism in HR in the higher education sector in the UK. He served as Chair and Vice-Chair of the Universities Personnel Association (now UHR) (2002-06), chair of the Russell Group HR Directors forum (2001-03) and has participated in national wage negotiations. He has attended and presented at conferences in India, South Africa, Malaysia, USA, Canada and in Europe.
Peter has a BA in History from the School of Oriental & African Studies and is a qualified leadership/management coach.
- Member of Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
- Member of the Institute of Leadership and Management
Dave van Eeden
A Human Resource Generalist with an emphasis on:
- aligning Human Resource strategy and structure with organization strategy
- development of Human Resource Practitioners in respect of role, function, expertise and skills
- team development
- organisation surveys and related feedback and action planning
Dave van Eeden has 30 years of broad – based Human Resource management experience and has been the Executive Director – Human Resources, University of Cape Town, South Africa since July 2001.
Prior to this he held senior Human Resource positions in the Sugar Manufacturing industry, the Chemical industry, the Retail industry and the Food Manufacturing and Consumer Goods industry. He also spent a short period consulting on Organizational Transformation.
Dave has a BA degree in Psychology and Economics, an Honours degree in Psychology and a Master of Business Leadership (cum laude) specializing in people management. He has also attended Executive courses at INSEAD, France and IMD, Switzerland.
Representing India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, New Zealand
Sonia Hortop is the Executive Director and one of the Founding Directors of Academic Search International. The company originally started in New Zealand and soon expanded into Australia, Hong Kong and Singapore, Fiji, China, UK, Pakistan and the United Arab Emirates.
Sonia holds a BSc from the University of Bath in International Management and Modern Languages and a Master of Professional Accounting from the University of Southern Queensland. After working in HR and Economic Analysis Departments in large multinational companies in Paris, she spent several years in Australia as a business and strategic planning specialist in Chartered Accounting firms. A move to New Zealand saw her working in a generalist recruitment firm in New Zealand before she became one of the Founding Directors of Academic Search International Ltd. in 1999.
- Member of the Association of Executive Search Consultants (AESC)
- Council member of the Asia Pacific chapter of the AESC
- Member of the Institute of Directors
- Member of the Auckland Chamber of Commerce
Representing Western Hemisphere
Brian has thirty-two years of experience leading the HR function in five organizations. Consulting services include:
- simple and effective outcome-based performance management systems
- employee and labour relations support
- strategic human resource management capacity assessment
- facilitating the Leaders for Life program
- transforming the HR function in five organizations to achieve corporate goals
- dramatic improvements in employee/labour relations and conflict resolution
- developing/implementing outcomes-based performance management
- Member, Association of Commonwealth Universities Human Resource Management Network Steering Committee,2002-2010
- Certified facilitator, Leaders for Life
- Certified Human Resources Professional, Human Resources Professional Association of British Columbia (CHRP),1990-2010